I have to admit that I am a huge fan of having specialized environments for students.
This a because some students can straight up not participate properly in a normal setting.
The movie rain man in an absolute favourite of mine. Yes it's hilarious, touching, interesting, has Cruise and Hoffman, is an award winner, and is eye-opening, but it also gets a person thinking about many different topics. One of the things I relate Rain Man to is the debate on inclusion.
The clip below is about Mr. Kim Peek... who was the inspiration for Dustin Hoffman's character (Raymond or Rain Man)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6097787318198018019#
Clearly Kim is an AMAZING man. The fact is that there are many situations that he would not exactly be suited for.
The example given in the video is that kim knows music so well that if he is at a performance and someone makes a slight error he will stand up and question what is happening since it was not done how it should've been. Obviously this is absolutely not acceptable in a large performance hall.
This is similar to how certain children are not necessarily suited to be in typical classrooms.
This is not to say that these students should not be challenged, it just means that I feel that they should be challenged at appropriate levels in appropriate ways. In many cases i feel the most appropriate way is establishing a setting that can be more easily shaped in comparison to a class of 30 or so students who also need to be facilitated for.

No comments:
Post a Comment